Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Seeing Gold


Stats
Full name: Laura Helen Hunter-Thomas.

Age: 20 years old.

Double life: London-bound athlete and fashion editor (JNSQ iPad & iPhone magazine).


Most of the people who know me have no idea what it is I do in my ‘other life’. They either know me as a Nike-sporting, perpetually sweaty athlete gunning for the Olympics (I have been selected to attend the London 2012 Summer Games as an official training partner for the US women’s saber fencing team), or as an obsessed-with-Dannijo-and-the-fall-season fashion editor who refuses to wear less than a two-inch heel.

While most might struggle to draw a parallel between the two, I personally argue that neither incarnation demands less dedication than the other. As an elite athlete, I am used to pushing myself beyond my own limits on a daily basis (it helps that I train with the double Olympic Champion, the incredible Mariel Zagunis), and as a fashion editor - well! Have you ever tried hot yoga after a day of critiquing shows while subsisting entirely on Starbucks and chasing street style photographers in five-inch heels?

Joking aside, I spend my life – whether in my athletic or glamorous guise – in pursuit of perfection, and as we draw closer to the Olympics, we shine the spotlight on those who have spent their whole lives doing the same thing. Such dedication, sacrifice and self-discipline will prove to be the key to the athletes’ success, but that is no secret. The real secret is what lies behind all this hard work – what motivates someone to keep giving 110%, every day of their lives? Below, my tips to finding – and keeping – your passion and staying motivated.

FIND TIME FOR FUN
It’s important to make room in your life for relaxation. All work and no play is the fastest route to burnout I know. I dedicate a lot of hours to writing, working out in the gym and sparring, but I always make sure to carve out time in my schedule for a bit of gentle yoga, trashy reality TV or day trips to the beach. Whatever it is you like to do for fun, make sure to find time for it on a regular basis (I find once a week minimum to be necessary).

DREAM…AND DREAM BIG
Remember why you’re doing whatever it is you’re dedicating your time to. Sometimes we can get bogged down in the drudgery of the day-to-day necessities when it comes to our dreams. We all love watching the crowning of a new Olympic Champion, but what we often don’t realize is how rare this kind of moment is for the athlete. Their daily lives aren’t coloured gold – the only metallic element present is the taste of the blood, sweat and tears necessary to achieve their dreams. Never forget why you’re doing this. Hold on to your golden moment, and keep reaching for it every single day.

TAKE A BREAK
Sometimes, it can all just get too much. If you find yourself suffering from burnout, don’t assume you’re done, or a failure. There have been times in my career when I’ve truly resented what I do – I’ve quit my blog, actively tried to avoid training sessions – but eight years on, I’m still doing it. Going hell for leather for too long can foster a natural aversion to the exercise in question, but don’t worry - a short break is just what the doctor ordered. I find a change in scenery (to the Caribbean, preferably!) to be quite refreshing, but just a clean break in your day-to-day life can do the trick: avoid even talking about the exercise in question for a while, and you’ll be back to championship form in no time.

Laura Hunter-Thomas,
Ici Fashion

No comments:

Post a Comment